Monday, February 16, 2009

How's Your Dash?

This last weekend at church we started a new series on Bucket Lists. This weekend it was on how we have two main dates in our lives, birth and death, and then the rest is just a dash (like on a tombstone).

When all is said and done, what's your dash going to look like?

What are the important things that we want to have accomplished?

What are things that you thought were important that now you realize didn't matter?

One thing that I thought was very interesting was that Keith mentioned how "freeing" it is to learn you only have a certain amount of time left....gone are the excuses of "I'll do it tomorrow" and "once I hit this milestone, then things will be better". Relationships, past and present, start to matter more.

I've been struggling lately with being at home what feels like 24/7. I love the boys, but some days I wonder if I was crazy wanting kids! I know that this is mostly Feb. blahs....things will feel so much better when we all can get outside, Jim's schooling is almost done and hopefully life can get into some form of normalcy. As I'm mulling these things over in my head, I've come to the realization that I spend a lot of time looking toward the future...once the boys are older, once Jim is done with school, once Jim gets that job he's wishing for...then, my life can start again. Does life stop once you have kids? Do you somehow become less of a person once "mommy" becomes your title?

Life doesn't stop! I need to spend more time living today, then dreaming about things in the future that I have no control over now! I need to look at the gift I've been given today: my boys, my husband, my friends and family. Life is too short to be stuck in the what ifs....I'm going to try and work harder to be focused and appreciate today!

No comments: