Monday, June 3, 2013

True Grit

We're half way through Dad's trip....and today, I'm beat.

Well, I've been exhausted ever since our trip..sickness, long car rides, and no time to recover before the next thing hit...but today...today...I'm just done.  The kids haven't been crazy bad, nothing has really gone wrong (except for all of the night noises that make the Lucy in me go crazy)..just tired.

Jim's almost home..

just a few more days...

I Can Do This.....


Nope.  No I can't...but I can't curl up in a ball and cry either...instead, close the door and get some Jesus time in.

Funny how he reveals stuff, things that you know and studied before but through the tired broken-ness he reveals it fresh.

1. I am stubborn.  Pig headed, pitbull with a toy, dumb as an ox...won't quit till I hit the wall or keel over. When going through something hard, I put my head down, set my teeth, square my hips and just push through it.  I'm a rip the bandaid off kind of girl.  I do it all of the time, whether I'm working out or dealing with a crap storm...suck it up buttercup and move on through.

2. Jim and I are a great team...we fill in the weak cracks.  When he's gone, it's really hard.  But maybe this time is for us to learn to lean on the the other rope in our three stranded cord...

3.  Sometimes, no matter how hard you push..ya just ain't gonna move that mountain!  
....and then you sit down in frustration and evaluate the situation....



Come to me all you who are weary and burdened, I will give you rest.  Take my yoke and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.

(Matthew 11:28-30)



Before we get all excited about the rest part, Jesus isn't saying "Yo, you tired?  burdened? well, come on out to Jesus Beaches Resort...pull up a chair, slap on some lotion, and rest...."

We still get a yoke...hooked up to a plow, ready to work.  But the yoke is easy, it's burden is light.   When we team up with Jesus, we are no longer the lone ox pushing through the hard ground.  

Jesus is the one pushing through.  He's the lead carrying the brunt of the weight, we just have stop trying to do it ourselves, accept his lead and follow his steps.   I find myself always picking up the God-sized yoke, but it's one that I was never meant to carry.  Take up his yoke, it's just your size Goldilocks.

He is a gentle and humble teacher, find your rest in him.

So, maybe True Grit isn't the power to push through any situation....

Maybe suck it up buttercup, should be let it go cocomo....

I need you more, more than yesterday
I need you Lord, more than words can say
I need you more than ever before
I need you Lord
I need you Lord




Friends, the choice is ours....Grit vs. Need.  In our weakness, we are strong.   So, I'm not a supermom who braves the bumps in the night and still has the strength to keep up with the laundry and the dishes...it's ok...one day at a time, following the steps of Jesus.   Head not down pushing though, but looking up for my strength.

Even in the trials, we are so blessed!

2 comments:

thevintagegodgirl said...

I had to chuckle as I read this. I have to learn this lesson over & over & over. It's the hardest lesson to learn.... And I love it when I have a cheering section!

Anonymous said...

Isn't it crazy how we forget to lean in to God and let him handle it for us? Why are we so short in our memory?