Sunday, March 1, 2009

Pulling Off the Band Aide

It's amazing how somethings in life are like pulling off a band aide.

Friday night we had our small group for this new series at church (linked it incase anyone is interested in seeing this series!). A night of awesome women, living in the moment and encouraging each other. I came away from it so energized and just floated home on a God cloud. It was like God was holding me to his chest, caressing my head, telling me it's gonna be alright.....and then wham! Woke up Saturday to find that He was pulling off a band aid that I had carefully placed over my aching heart. YAOUCH!!!! (God's got a good sense of humor because I've done the same thing to the boys when removing those pesky sticky things!)

I wrestled all day with major, deep issues. Some have plagued me since childhood, others more recent..but not any less painful. I didn't know what to do. Do I suck it up and deal with these hard issues or wait until the bleeding stops and a loose scab appears? I kept asking Jim what I should do, but he only replied that I had to be the one to make that decision! Called my good friend Kim, who happened to be discussing the same type of thing with her hubby at the kitchen table (GOD IS GOOD!). Still wasn't sold on what I should do, but was comforted in the fact that I'm not alone!

Fast forward to a sleepless night and a moody morning. Got into church, had a great Caramel Mac. (thanks Devon!), and stepped into worship. Songs filled the air about overcoming and God being in control of every victory. Sat down for service feeling ok.....what was the sermon on you might be thinking............"Living for what really matters".....relationships! Ahahahaha I'm laughing it up Father!

Point 3 happened to be "What relationship needs to be restored?". According to yesterday, I've got a couple big ones that I really need to work on...but still I really don't want to go there....can't I just pretend that I didn't feel that tinge in my heart or that ache in the pit of my stomach ( Devon, What did you put in my coffee!?!).

Three things we should remember about forgiveness:

1. Forgive selfishly. Forgiveness is more for our benefit then others. Someone once told me that bitterness is like swallowing poison, expecting the other person to die.

2. Forgive freely. Don't hold back....forgiving doesn't wipe the wrong away, it just puts it into God's hands to deal with it!

3. Forgive repeatedly. We're all human and we all fall so short.

One last thing before I go get off my unforgiving butt and make some changes. This verse really hit me....I want it for myself and I'm praying it for all of you!

Matt. 11:28-30 (Message) "Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me---watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."


LOVE WELL, FORGIVE OFTEN!!!

No comments: