Sunday, March 8, 2009

Surrender....

...is there more to that word then just being a good Cheap Trick song?

I find it so ironic that my freedom comes by surrendering my heart and my will to what God has in store. That seems to go against every fiber of society. It's almost like it's too easy.

Luke 9:23-25
(Jesus) "If any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross daily and follow me. If you try to keep your life for yourself, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for me you will find true life."

I'm not saying that surrendering will be an automatic ticket to the "good life", but it will take you on a journey to realizing true happiness and most of all contentment. Why do we fight it? The lessons I've learned over the past year have been hard and the scars are deep, but I really feel like I've finally found it! I can rely on God for my well being....sure He might point out some hard things that I need to work on, but in the end it's all for my benefit AND I don't have to go it alone! He is with me every step of the way, shaping and molding this imperfect selfish person into a beautiful vessel.

There has been this song on the radio a lot lately called By Your Side (see play list). The lyrics hit me ever time I hear it. "Why are you striving these days? Why are you trying to earn grace? Why are you crying? Let me lift up your face, just don't turn away.....To where will you go child, to where will you run? Cause I'll be by your side wherever you fall, in the dead of night whenever you call. Please don't fight these hands that are holding you." It's become one of my banners lately.

What would it be like if you just let go, surrendered and jumped full on into the arms of God?

No comments: