Tuesday, April 20, 2010

I'm a Material Girl

Here's my favorite of Amber's presents.....her husband, Rand, is in a band so I had to make a little girlie rocker outfit!

For the tutu I used:

a spool of tulle(I think it was 15ft or something, but I got 2 of them out of one spool). It's found in the ribbon section at Hobby Lobby.

1/2" elastic

I measured the onseie to see how wide the waist was and then cut and sewed the elastic accordingly (if I were to do it again, I'd probably shorten the width just a tad because it seemed to stretch as I added the tulle).

Then, I wrapped the tulle around a piece of cardboard that was 6.5" long. After I got the whole roll on it, I cut one end...leaving me with 13" stips.

I folded each strip in half (raw edges matching so that I didn't have to trim too much when I was finished) and made a simple slip knot.

Keep going around the entire elastic band and viola~~tutu!
For the onseie:
fabric
print out of a guitar
wonder under
Following instructions for the wonder under, iron on a square that's just bigger than the guitar picture. Pin the print out on the fabric and cut it out. Iron guitar onto onesie (along with a little rectangle snippet for added detail).
Sew around the guitar for a little extra staying power.
For the hair bow:
extra guitar fabric
button
extra tulle
black thread
little metal hair clip
hot glue gun

I cut a 18" long by 3"-ish strip of fabric, folded it in half and did a long basting stitch along the raw edges.

Pull the thread to bunch the fabric up into a "flower"
Repeat with a smaller section of tulle


Hot glue pieces together and add a button to hide the middle bunchiness :)
And then go a bit crazy with the other leftover scraps you have!

Enjoy making your own little material girl into a baby rocker!
I'm linking to Hope Studio's Tutorial Tuesday






6 comments:

Courtney Walsh said...

Seriously??? SOOOO cute!!!

Amber said...

I think this outfit was my favorite too. You are so awesome! =)

Anonymous said...

You totally need to start selling these on Etsy! SO CUTE!

Andrea @ TheTrainToCrazy.com said...

What an adorable outfit! LOVE it!! If you want, stop by and link up to my Thursday party Make It Wear it. This would be perfect!

gottaluvboyz said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog and your sweet words. You are one talented girl with all of your crafts!!!! Love this outfit:)

Anonymous said...

You ROCK!! :)