Friday, June 12, 2009

It's My Birthday, Oh Yeah, Gonna Have A Good Time!

Man, it just seems like yesterday was my last birthday....how does this happen?!?

Tonight we are having friends over for a cook out/ bon fire. I really didn't want to do any cooking inside, so I'm going to try making a hot potato salad on the grill and I've got an ice cream cake in the freezer (along with some brandy slush!!!)


I got the directions years ago from my friend Joy....her's was an oreo cake with chocolate frosting, but you really can just about do anything to this and it will turn out!!!


Strawberry Ice Cream Cake:



~2 1/2 gallon boxes Strawberry Ice Cream, let it set out until its pretty soft, but not soupy

~3/4 package vanilla sandwich cookies (use more or less, its up to your tastes), crushed but still having some good sized pieces.

~1 quart Strawberries, I used frozen...not sure how fresh would turn out

~2 Tbs sugar

~1 container vanilla frosting *warm in Microwave about 30 seconds*

In the microwave, heat through strawberries and sugar. Once the strawberries are soft, use a spoon to break them into smaller pieces. (takes about 4 min or so).

Using an angel food cake pan, add a layer of cookies. Drizzle about 1/3 of the can of frosting on to the cookies. Cover that with 1/2 of the strawberries. With a spoon, gently add the softened ice cream until pan is about half full. Repeat layers: cookies, frosting, strawberries, and then ice cream.

Once the pan is full, use a piece of plastic wrap to gentley smooth the ice cream out as best you can (so it will sit nicely on the platter).

Cover with a new sheet of plastic wrap. Freeze overnight or until firm.

When ready to serve, run a knife along the sides and around the inside "tube". Invert on platter and push down on the "top" part of the pan. If needed, run the knife along the flat part of the pan.

I don't have a picture of the finished cake because we are having it tonight, but I'll try and post a picture of it ASAP :)

Have a great weekend!!!!


I totally forgot to snap a picture of the cake....here's a piece of it the next day!!! Yummy!

No comments: