Tuesday, October 20, 2009

All Blocked Up

My mom has the cutest little family blocks. Each one has letters on each side and then they all together spell a ton of different things. I loved the blocks...hated the price! I am way to cheap and the blocks were a touch on the small side for my tastes.

I had Jim cut me some wooden blocks. He said that all I need was to sand them....they were way too rough and I was way too lazy to do that :)

...so.....I took my handy dandy drywall compound and drywalled the blocks. Once they dried, I just had to easily sand the compound down....PERFECT!
I painted each one a different color and then traced the letters on each side.
Painting white letters was not so fun. I couldn't find my fine tip paint brush....BOYS!!! Anyway, I did the best I could. I think I might take a black sharpie to outline the letters....maybe antique the blocks with some burnt umber paint...I don't know, but for now that'll do!
Sorry for the terrible pictures....If the sun would ever decide to shine it would be a miracle! I'm linking the to Kimba's DIY Day!

DIY Day @ ASPTL

3 comments:

Green Girl in Wisconsin said...

How clever and cute! Clever of you to figure out how to get out of SANDING them:)

{ L } said...

Oh! This is too cool! I love it! You did an amazing job too by the way.

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

I never would have thought of doing that for sanding. Cute idea!!!