Monday, October 5, 2009

Da Apron

Well, it took me all day Friday to sew 3 aprons.....making the pattern, calling my grandma to figure out how to ruesh (?) the middle section and then all day fighting with the bobbin!!!!

Each apron used just under a yard of the green fabric and 1/2 yard of the brown. I just folded an apron in half and drew out the pattern on freezer paper, making the top a little bit wider (but on pretty petite Amber, I needed to go back and finagle it a bit shorter). ETA: for the straps I just eye balled it...I think I used 24" x 4" for the neck strap....folded in half, sewn with a 3/8's seam and then ironed the heck out of it. Did the same for the 2 back ties except cut on the fold of the fabric 36" (total) x 6". The neck and waist trim was fumbly, but I didn't know how else to do it...2" piece measured to just over the length needed, ironed in 1/2 and then halves folded in. For the waist band I then opened the first fold and ironed it flat so that I'd have a wider band, but no open seams. I am in no way an expert or even a good seamstress....just made it do....it's an apron anyway, it's just meant to get dirty!

All in all, I think they turned out pretty decent! (in the background is Amber's mom who was making us breakfast for Amber's birthday!!! Mmmmm gotta love a good southern breakfast!......isn't her kitchen the cutest?!?!)

6 comments:

pk said...

Um. WAY ahead of me in the sewing category! :-) good job!
pk @ room remix

shelly said...

PK, thanks...all I can say is thank God for seam ripers and grandmas on the phone! (You by the way have the Cooooolest stuff on your website!!!)

Gina @ The Shabby Chic Cottage said...

Good job! Love the color!

Tara said...

Excellent job!

MotherhoodFilm said...

Love the apron!
I really enjoyed looking around your blog! What great ideas!!
*Eliza’s blog*

Whitney said...

I love the fabrics you used. Great job!