Monday, October 31, 2011

Monday Rant

Can I just say something real quick...I know some of you will probably gasp and maybe some of you will never return again...but I've had enough!  


All I've seen today on facebook and bloggy land is talk about halloween and fall festival..or trunk or treat (good golly, if only you could have seen my eyes roll with that last one!)


So, here's my deal...


If you choose to let your kids participate in halloween or not, it's no skin off my nose.   


But, it's all these silly festivals that drive me UP the WALL!!!!!


Seriously, why is it any different to let your kid dress up as a princess, pirate, or cat and parade around the church parking lot playing games and collecting candy?


Is it somehow ok if it's done on church property?   I don't know....and I'm trying really hard Not to judge it...something just doesn't sit right with me about the whole deal.


Either do it or not, but what a confusing message if you finagle it justified by throwing in some Christian-ease.


I know that we are called not to be of this world, but where does the hiding our light under a bushel come in?   


Why not instead, be the coolest house on the block?  Pass out Big Candy Bars...or glow sticks...be the Light that the neighborhood kids LOVE every day of the year, not just on Oct. 31.


Like I said, I don't know.  We have never participated in trunk or treat...and maybe some are great outreach opportunities.   Jim grew up without trick or treating and I grew up with it...so we do a mix....hit a few family/friends' houses and then grab pizza.  It really isn't a huge deal in our house.   We have boundaries, no dark costumes, no blood or guts or zombies here....but they can have fun and be imaginative (they're on a regular basis wearing costumes from years ago in their everyday play).


Whatever you do, stick to your convictions...don't wishwash it into acceptance.


whew....sigh....big breath in...and now I feel better ;)

4 comments:

Debbie said...

We don't acknowledge it. Simple. In fact, because of your post I just noticed that 'today is the day'. One year I handed out candy with tracts; the neighborhood was littered with em'. I don't acknowledge it and I don't contribute to it. I'll eat my own candy, thank you very much! :D My daughters say they will do the same with their kids. Being different? We thrive on that!
Hugs, Deb

Michelle said...

I don't like it. Louie and I drove to the Quad Cities last night and saw the movie Footloose. Maybe it's because I don't have kids. My biggest gripe is that kids that won't acknowledge you, and snub you all year will show up asking for candy. No thanks.

The thing that upsets me the MOST is that the rule is, if no lights are on, no one is supposed to stop at that house. We make our house DARK...no lights, and the little monsters STILL ring the door bell dingdong, dingdong, dingdong, dingdong...Pound, pound pound on the door. So, I have to either listen to ringing and pounding for two hours, or I have to be forced out of my own home for two hours. It really ticks me off!

Whew! Sorry...I think I need therapy.

Anonymous said...

We do it--it's a great night, all the neighbors are out, everyone is happy and greeting each other and I think it's an awesome way to connect with others and BE LIGHT. Like you, I don't allow my kids to be too gruesome or violent in their costumes. And the people who slam their doors shut and hide in the dark that night, well the message they send sure is NOT a positive, loving one. So honey, I'm with you 100% on this one. Be light IN the world and be loving to your neighbors.

Pressed Petals said...

we don't do halloween either. thought the kids went trick-or-treating for the first time this year. they were both disappointed. our 15yo said it was partly fun, but it also felt weird. our 13 yo said he wasn't going again. i love it when they see "it" for themselves.