Thursday, September 3, 2009

It's a Map!

I envisioned a chalkboard that the boys could practice their states and capitals on....big enough to play naming games and keep all three occupied. The cost however for such lovelies was...whew!!! So I went shopping in Jim's scrap piles, bought a map from Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon and went to town!!!

The board was just plain old bumpy plywood. With a little drywall compound and some sanding, it turned into the perfect work surface! Two coats of chalkboard paint and we're ready for business!

I then tried to do the chalk technique I used for Jamie's desk, but the back of the map poster wouldn't take on the chalk. So, I chalked up plain paper and taped it evenly across the board. Then I taped on the map and drew around the outline of the states. I used a white paint pen to trace over the chalk.

Jim was sweet enough to cut out a frame (from scrap wood of course!). Modge Podge and torn up map pieces (the free ones from rest stops) completed the process.
I loved the little compass on this map!
I decided that the Great Lakes were a little confusing so I painted them with a blue chalk marker....this is pseudo permanent, but will wash off if I get it wet (it's what I had!).
There you have it....a huge map that should entertain them/me for hours!!!

5 comments:

Little Lovables said...

wow, this is amazing!

Connie said...

Now that is what I call creative. You are so smart and I'll bet your little ones will get so much enjoyment and learning at the same time. Smart Mommy, you are.

Love this idea!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic!! And I love the frame. :)

Southern Fried Gal said...

Great idea and well-executed!

icandy... said...

Awwww, man! Now that is big and creative... what a wonderful idea!
Happy day,
Christina