Thursday, August 27, 2009

Birthing a Dream

Have you ever realized how similar fulfillment of dreams is to childbirth?

At first it doesn't seem real, this little seed planted deep inside your heart. As it gets bigger you stretch and grow until you hardly recognize yourself! Its exciting but terrifying. I was never one of those patient souls who could wait to find out if my baby was a boy or girl. Always so curious to see what this precious little bundle would be like, what features would he have? Dreams are like that, we know they're there, but have know clue what it will look like in the end. I wonder how long the gestation period is for a dream? Its definitely not 9 months!!! Sometimes it feels like we'll have an elephant instead of a new life!

Then comes the fun part (yeah right)..labor! It hurts. You think you'll never recover. Man, you seriously have NeVeR felt pain like this!!! Its like your heart's being ripped out. You cry for God to take the pain away, but there is no epidural for the spirit. Then when you think you can't take one more second...its here! All shiny and new...nothing what you expected in your mind...but beautifully perfect.

Last night while I was pondering all of this, I came across Jesus trying to explain his departure to his disciples:

John 16: 21-24

A woman giving birth to a child has pain because her time has come; but when her baby is born she forgets the anguish because of her joy that a child is born into the world. So with you: Now is your time of grief, but I will see you again and you will rejoice, and no one will take away your joy. In that day you will no longer ask me anything. I tell you the truth, my Father will give you what ever you ask in my name. Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you shall receive, and your joy will be complete.

As I'm typing this post Jamie has Petra blairing in the background..."Be of good cheer for I have overcome this world!" ...I could go on quoting Petra Praise all day! So thankful that God moves even through little boys blasting music while they clean their rooms!!! I think I'm going to sign off and take a moment to do some praising of my Dream Maker!

No comments: